LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

When a pilot ejects?

Last post 11-26-1999, 12:43 PM by anonymous2. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-19-1999, 9:36 PM 933

When a pilot ejects?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    When a pilot ejects from say the F-16 I've noticed that his legs are under the dash. So how does he stop from getting his leg's chomped off?

Regards

Rapier
  •  11-19-1999, 10:37 PM 939 in reply to 933

Re:When a pilot ejects?

*** Posted by run ***
    Hi Rapier

The seat is as you know tilted 30 degrees backwards which means it also drives out of the cockpit at a 30 degree angle. When the pilot ejects the legs also swings down before they pass the dashboard.
    The reason we put the legs all the way forward is because if you placed your feet on the floor close to the seat there would be air between your thighs and the seat. This would allow the seat to accelerate before it hit your thighs and they would probably break. This is also the reason why you can't have a soft cushion.

run
    [When a pilot ejects from say the F-16 I've noticed that his legs are under the dash. So how does he stop from getting his leg's chomped off?

Regards

Rapier]
  •  11-19-1999, 11:37 PM 940 in reply to 939

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Thank you Run,

Now that is cool I never new that. I always thought that if the aircraft were traveling fairly fast then the pilot could eject and be thrown backward just enough to make a clean and safe escape.

The thing about breaking your leg's also I never new. I never new it could punch a pilot out with so much force.

Regards

Rapier
  •  11-20-1999, 10:16 AM 942 in reply to 940

*** Posted by run ***
    The pilot is not hrown bach because of the wind forces. The shoulder straps tighten up and force you to the seat with 22 torsoe g's

run

[Thank you Run,

Now that is cool I never new that. I always thought that if the aircraft were traveling fairly fast then the pilot could eject and be thrown backward just enough to make a clean and safe escape.

The thing about breaking your leg's also I never new. I never new it could punch a pilot out with so much force.

Regards

Rapier]
  •  11-20-1999, 11:05 PM 945 in reply to 942

Re:When a pilot ejects? Thanks for the info. nt

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    nt
  •  11-22-1999, 1:20 PM 948 in reply to 942

*** Posted by Kim Nielsen ***
    [The pilot is not hrown bach because of the wind forces. The shoulder straps tighten up and force you to the seat with 22 torsoe g's

run

XXXXX

Is this strap-arrangement new?
    I remember to have heard a story about the Royal Norvegian AF's first loss of a F-16: The flight was in the early days and the plane was a "B" with trainee and instructor. For any reason both had to eject in low altitude over the sea but the trainees chute did'nt fold out resulting in multi leaping of the seat, within pilot, across the surface of the sea. In opposite, the instructors chute folded out quite well.
    When found and rescued it showed that the trainee was alive, but the instructor in the meantime had passed out because of internal bleeding caused of at set of too loose seat-straps!

Just at story - or?

Kim.
  •  11-22-1999, 6:33 PM 950 in reply to 948

*** Posted by run ***
    Hi Kim

I haven't heard about that story before. Normally the pilot is thrown out of the seat before the big chute unfolds totally. If you eject at high altitudes/airspeeds you stay in the seat with a brakechute until reaching a certain altitude/airspeed. Then the brakechute is released, the big chute unfolded and the pilot is kicked out of the seat.

run

[The pilot is not hrown bach because of the wind forces. The shoulder straps tighten up and force you to the seat with 22 torsoe g's

run

XXXXX

Is this strap-arrangement new?
    I remember to have heard a story about the Royal Norvegian AF's first loss of a F-16: The flight was in the early days and the plane was a "B" with trainee and instructor. For any reason both had to eject in low altitude over the sea but the trainees chute did'nt fold out resulting in multi leaping of the seat, within pilot, across the surface of the sea. In opposite, the instructors chute folded out quite well.
    When found and rescued it showed that the trainee was alive, but the instructor in the meantime had passed out because of internal bleeding caused of at set of too loose seat-straps!

Just at story - or?

Kim. ]
  •  11-23-1999, 11:42 AM 954 in reply to 950

*** Posted by Kim Nielsen ***
    [Hi Kim

I haven't heard about that story before. Normally the pilot is thrown out of the seat before the big chute unfolds totally. If you eject at high altitudes/airspeeds you stay in the seat with a brakechute until reaching a certain altitude/airspeed. Then the brakechute is released, the big chute unfolded and the pilot is kicked out of the seat.

run

-----

My considerations according the story, was related to the "passed out becaused of internal bleedings due to straps being too loose"-part.
    With the "tighten-up system" You mentions, this wouldnt be able. Therefore is the story just another story, OR the system wasnt developed to the first delivered F-16's ??

Kim
  •  11-23-1999, 5:02 PM 955 in reply to 954

*** Posted by run ***
    Hi Kim

I thinks the system has stayed the same all along. It might be the lapbelt he didn't have tight. It is only the shoulder straps which are tightened at ejection.

run
  •  11-26-1999, 12:43 PM 960 in reply to 955

It's amazing how...

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi guy's,

It's amazing how hi-tech these seats are. I did'nt really know that the straps tightened on ejection so it's interesting and 22 Torso G's I mean wow! ok it's only for a split second but I bet it's like a mule giving you a good kick.

Thanks loads guy's

Rapier
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved